stu·di·ous / ˈst(y)o͞odēəs / adjective
1. spending a lot of time studying or reading.
This is the last week my home will be puppy-free for, well … hopefully a long time! And while I grew up with dogs in the family and my friend’s families, I’ve never actually been the sole care provider for a dog, which makes me nervous and excited. Therefore, every day this week I’m going to spend a couple of minutes with my nose in a book learning a little bit more about those first couple of months with a new dog.
A couple of things I’ve picked up so far:
- On the ride home with the puppy, don’t play loud music, but instead talk softly and gently to the puppy to get it used to your voice and scent
- If bred with a liter, bring something home with his mother’s and liter’s scent; place scented blanket/cloth in crate with puppy for the first couple of nights
- Within the first hours of being home don’t overwhelm the puppy by petting, playing, snuggling; let him be on his own so he can figure out his surroundings without being scared
- Training starts day one; just like humans, a dog’s learning brain is best at a younger age
Have any great resources to share, or great advice for bringing home a new puppy? xoxo ‘n lols, crystal